Badian Khatai is the seed pod from the fruit of the Illicium verum plant, an evergreen shrub native to Southwest China. Although Star Anise pod has a similar flavor and name to Spanish anise, the two plants are unrelated.
- Used in chinses herbal medicine as a remedy for rheumatism, back pain, and hernias and has stimulant, diuretic, and digestive properties.
- It makes an effective remedy for wind and indigestion – especially colic – and can safely be given to children.
- Badian Khatai treats hernias of the intestine or bladder, often mixed with fennel (Foeniculum vulgare).
- Both herbs help to relax the muscles of the organs and relieve spasms. It is also used for toothache.
- volatile oil (mostly anethole)
- including quercetin