Coughing up blood or hemoptysis is spitting blood from the throat, lungs, airway passage, nose, mouth, and stomach. The blood is dark red or rusty. So, is coughing up blood poisonous? Well, coughing up blood could be mild, moderate, and fatal, depending upon their causes. It is massive hemoptysis if the coughing up blood is more than 600ml during 24 hours (deadly). It is only 5% but causes 80 % of deaths. Then what should you do if you see a person coughing up blood? Let’s check out coughing-up blood home remedies.
What causes coughing up blood?
Coughing up blood could be due to different issues that range from mild to severe. Following are some serious haemoptysis causes:
- Bronchiectasis-short of breath due to enlargement of arteries
- Blood clotting in lungs
- Prolonged violent cough
- Chest infection or Trauma due to a car accident
- Parasitic infection
- Some form of Congestive heart failure
- lungs cancer
- Blood clot in lungs
- Blood vessels inflammation (vacuities)
- Inhaling foreign particles such as food leads to ruptured airway
- Use of anticoagulants (blood thinner) such as warfarin.
- Use crack cocaine that also causes coughing up blood
Commonly, haemoptysis causes are associated with symptoms, and they need an accurate diagnosis. When to see a Hakeem (physician) if you’re coughing up blood symptoms?
Diagnosing specific causes of coughing up blood can be challenging. If a person doesn’t smoke but coughs up with some blood, it could be a mild infection. In young and healthy people coughing up is not a severe problem If there is little blood with mucus for less than a week. It’s Probably a mild infection. Very often, such infection triggers prolonged violent coughing that ruptures tiny blood vessels. One of the most common causes for coughing up blood. It indicates some severe medical conditions in case of these symptoms as:
- If the blood lasts for more than a week and getting severe overtime
- Chest pain and Trauma
- High fever
- Shortness of breath and rapid breathing
- Unexplained weight loss
Several ways for coughing up blood treatment:
Treatment of hemoptysis depends on the causes, and it is necessary to notify the physician. Blood treatment tinged sputum includes:
- Oral antibiotics to tackle pneumonia or tuberculosis
- Antiviral to reduce the length of the virus
- Surgery to treat a blood clot in case of persistent hemoptysis
- Chemotherapy need for lungs cancer treatment
- Steroids are prescribed to treat inflammation
7 Home Remedies for Coughing Up blood treatment:
Let’s talk about coughing up blood home remedies for you: Salt has the property of anti-germs. Add 1/2 (half) teaspoon of salt in warm water, mix it well, and gargle 2 to 3 times a day. It’ll kill the germs and soothe your sore throat.
- Garlic is a source of sulfur that is against bacteria and prevents infection. So take three cloves of raw garlic at night before going to bed or chop it, mix it with honey and let it sit overnight. Take one teaspoon twice a day. This remedy will prevent blood and reduce phlegm production. Thus soon, you will get relief.
- Honey is naturally effective in getting rid of coughing up blood. It has anti-inflammation, antiviral and antibacterial properties that soothe the throat. Add two teaspoons of honey in half a teaspoon of ginger juice or your regular tea. Try this remedy twice a day will help a lot when suffering from hemoptysis.
- Take two teaspoons of grape juice and honey. Now mix it well and use this remedy three times a day.
- Prepare a mixture of ginger juice with half a teaspoon of cinnamon and cloves in a cup of hot water. Drink this mixture for a few days. Moreover, one can make an herbal tea by using one teaspoon of ginger powder and half a teaspoon
- of black pepper in boiling water. Stepping it for a few minutes and then adding some honey. It’s a very beneficial home remedy for dry cough.
- Dryness in the nasal passageway caused the chest infection to be worse. Inhalation of the steam soothes the airway and loosens the mucus. Add few droplets of essential oil to boiling water and inhale it for 3-7 minutes. Try to cover your head with a slightly wet towel. This will help to expel the coughing up blood out.
- Drink Lotus root juice two times a day for a week is proved to be very useful in hemoptysis.
- Take 15 grams of mulberry leaves, dry Lilly bulbs, .washed it and mix with 9 grams of a wood cup. Then boil it within water until half of the water remains, and Drink it two times a day regularly.
- Take the mixture of 30g of hedgehog flowers within 60 g carriage leaves, boil in water until half of the water remains. Regular use of this mixture is very effective against coughing up blood
- Prospan is a herbal cough syrup that is more effective against severe cough and respiratory infections. It is alcohol-free, sugar-free, and free of artificial colors that are effective for adults and children.
- Take an equal amount of Gotu kola and weed roots as 60 g. then add 30g of ranging in it and boil in 800 ccs of water until half of the water evaporates. Drink this water twice a day.
- Few herbs aid in clearing lungs and make breathing easy. These include Mullein, Horehound, Ginseng, Osha Root, and Eucalyptus. All these herbs are the active components of cough syrup. They have antimicrobial activity as some fight against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. Some have anti-inflammatory properties that work against inflammation. These herbs help in the removal of mucus from the lungs. They are also helpful against allergies and chest infections. The natural herbs boost the immune system and provide relief from irritated tissues of the respiratory tract.
In this way, all the above herbal medicines and home remedies for dry cough are beneficial in mitigating the symptoms of coughing up blood. In case of any severity, I always advise the patient to contact their doctor to be treated accordingly. So, if you are suffering from coughing up blood, you can seek medical help through these herbs online shop.
Apart from these remedies, one should take these preventive measures, like:
- Avoid smoking as it affects your immune system. Quit smoking will help to boost your immunity so that you can get relief.
- Maintaining appropriate personal hygiene is also very beneficial.
- In case of chest infection, practicing social distancing can help as well.
Coughing up blood is a contagious disease. This coughing out blood is alarming as it could signify a serious condition like lung cancer coughing up blood, damaged blood vessels, and infection. Regardless of symptoms, it doesn’t matter whether the blood amount is large or small; it indicates the symptoms of a severe disease that need to be treated. For this purpose, many synthetic approaches are practiced to treat the condition. But some side effects appear during medical treatment. So there is a need for an effective way, and all these above natural home remedies are the best alternative for coughing up blood treatment. Fortunately, there are some online herb shops or Hakeem Pakistan that provide these herbal medicines. They also offer the facility to buy online herbal products.