Cough clears irritants and infections from the body but persistence can be annoying. A cough itself is not contagious. A cough majority occurs due to some infection or a blockage in the airway. For example, Pertussis, also known as whooping cough. Contagious bacterial infection also causes whooping cough. It is also known as respiratory illness.
The most dangerous type of coughing is one that spreads in the air. Viruses, bacteria, and fungi can be transmitted from one person to another when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Well, what if someone coughing up blood? Are you looking for home remedies for dry cough, then you’ve come to the right place.
TYPES OF COUGHS
There are many types of coughs that can be contagious. Some of them are:
- Chesty Cough
- Dry Cough
- Post-Viral Cough
- Whooping Cough
DRY COUGH VS CHESTY COUGH
In dry cough, the person feels tickly in the thyroid gland and there is no phlegm (thick mucus) produced. While in a chesty cough phlegm is produced which helps in clearing your airways.
Whooping cough is a highly contagious condition that causes a severe dry cough.
DISEASES CAUSED DUE TO DRY COUGH
A contagious condition of dry cough which has severe conditions and spreads through the air is COVID-19. The major symptom of this disease is coughing. To prevent its spread, some major recommendations are here for the people. First, you’ve to cover the nose and mouth with your elbow or use paper tissue while coughing or sneezing. The second is to avoid close contact with anyone and maintain a 6 feet distance from everyone. In severe conditions, COVID-19 irritates lung tissue. Mostly, it causes shortness of breath, lungs damage, and muscle pain.
Another disease that has symptoms of dry cough is Asthma. It is a disease that affects your lungs. It is common in children nowadays, and adults have it, too. Asthma causes shortness in breath, chest tightness, and dry coughing at any time. But mostly in the night or early in the morning.
In lung cancer, a person faces a dry cough that does not go away. And it gets worse. Coughing up blood is one of the symptoms of lung cancer. A person feels chest pain with deep breathing and coughing is another condition in lung cancer.
Coughing up blood from the respiratory tract is referred to as hemoptysis. It is one of the most common symptoms of lung cancer.
Sometimes coughing can be very serious, that’s why it is necessary to treat it as early as possible. Some natural home remedies for dry cough are as below.
HOME REMEDIES FOR DRY COUGH
In Malaysia, cold & cough remedies generated approximately 117 million U.S. dollars of revenue in 2020. That was more than twice the revenue in the same segment in Singapore that year. By 2025, revenue by cold & cough remedies will generate roughly 127 million U.S. dollars, according to the Consumer Market Outlook.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of honey with any herbal tea or warm water. Squeeze some lemon juice in it. Take this early morning or empty stomach. Honey gives a soothing effect to the throat and lemon juice in warm water helps with the congestion.
- Ginger may ease dry or asthmatic cough as it has anti-inflammatory properties. Its anti-inflammatory compounds can relax membranes in the airways, which could relax coughing.
- Marshmallow root is a herb that has been widely used for the treatment of coughs and sore throat. It can ease irritation because of its high mucilage content. Mucilage is a thick, gluey substance that coats the throat.
- Salt-water gargle is one of the most effective remedies for treating cough and sore throat. Saltwater reduces phlegm and mucus in the throat which can lessen the need to cough.
- Thyme is a very common remedy for cough, sore throat, bronchitis, and digestive issues. Antioxidants in thyme relieve coughing.
HOW SERIOUS IS COUGHING UP BLOOD?
The blood while coughing is usually from the lungs. It’s often the result of coughing for a long time or a chest infection. The major cause of coughing up blood is chronic bronchitis, also known as bronchiectasis. Other probable causes of coughing up blood include COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), cystic fibrosis, pneumonia, tuberculosis, pulmonary embolism, lung cancer, parasitic infection, and lung cancer.
Coughed-up blood looks bubbly and is usually mixed with phlegm. Red or pink phlegm is a severe threatening sign. The Red or pink color of phlegm indicates that there is bleeding in the respiratory tract or in the lungs. Heavy coughing can cause bleeding by breaking the blood vessels in the lungs, which leads to red phlegm.
Phlegm is the healthy part of the body. But if it is being uncomfortable then the person should find ways to thin it or remove it from the body
There are some coughing-up blood home remedies.
- Moisturizing the air around can help to keep the mucus thin. Steam helps to clear phlegm and congestion.
- Drinking enough warm liquids such as herbal teas can make the mucus flow.
- Ginseng has been treasured with its healing properties. It is full of antioxidants and helps to relieve wet cough.
- Eucalyptus essential oil may loosen up the mucus from the throat and you can cough it out more easily.
Along with herbal treatment, there are many allopathy medicines used for controlling cough. Prospan is a commonly used herbal cough syrup for cough and bronchitis. It is highly recommended by doctors. It is very effective as it relieves cough from chronic inflammation.
Robitussin is also another effective medicine. The famous company Vitamin Deck renders it. You can buy it from any herbal store online. And it is available online to buy these medicines from their stores.
Note: Self-medication is not encouraged.
There are stores in Pakistan which provide herbal medicines for contagious cough. Dawakhana Hakeem Ajmal Khan is one of them. We provide the facility to buy Unani medicines online. If you’re looking up desi medicines for dry cough. Try our Sharbat Sadar Ajmali for chronic obstructive lung disease, flu, cough, weakness of lungs, and bronchitis treatment. If you’re coughing up, seek medical assistance. Feel free to contact us.